Kelly Lang is one of the best songwriters to grace country music. She’s written songs for artists such as Jerry Lee Lewis, The Oak Ridge Boys and Ricky Skaggs. She’s also the daughter of Conway Twitty’s road manager. She’s no stranger to the music business that’s for sure. In October, 2017 she released a album titled Obsession. It’s one of her best projects to date. Lang has a warm voice that draws you in. Her talent is undeniable. She’s a old soul with a pure country voice. She’s everything country music is missing these days.
2. What’s your official title and favorite thing about what you do?
I like to consider myself a singer/ songwriter. My favorite thing about what I do? I love being challenged to write a song for a specific project. Like when Lorrie Morgan asked me to help her write her life story in music. We spent each week together for almost a year writing her album I Walk Alone. It was like watching a caterpillar turn into a butterfly with every note she sang — very gratifying.
3. What are 3 things you CANNOT live without?
My husband, my pool (I’ll settle for a bathtub) and my babies (children and fur babies)
4. You have ties to some pretty legendary people in the business, any memories of Conway Twitty you can share?
I always loved When Conway would ask us to his home to play his guitar and sing songs he was about to release before the public heard them. I remember when he sang the words “Boom Boom Boom” in place of a bass line within the song “You’ve Never Been This Far Before.” It was later released with him singing that part! How cool to have seen that be born.
5. How long have you been playing music?
I’ve been playing the guitar since I was eight years old and the piano since I was four years old.
6. What’s the hardest life lesson you’ve learned?
When I was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was eye opening. I now look at everything with much more appreciation. I realized it was my “Life Sentence” and not a “Death Sentence”
7. Do you have a favorite restaurant or hang out spot in music city?
My favorite hang is J Alexander’s on West End. You also never know who you’re going to run into while there. Funny, I usually bump in to Reba.
8. If you could duet with any country artist, who would you pick and why?
I would love to sing with Kenny Rogers. I was fortunate though to sing “Islands In The Stream” with Barry Gibb at Kenny’s induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame, and he sang along with us, so…. technically???? Lol
9. Who is your favorite country singer from today’s mainstream group?
Little Big Town.
10. You have written songs for some pretty amazing artists …do you have a favorite song that you’ve written?
It is very hard to choose one, kind of like picking your favorite child. But I would say my favorite song is one I wrote with my husband TG Sheppard and Bobby Tomberlin called “The Killer” that Jerry Lee Lewis recorded. It was a blast being in the studio with this amazing legend and hearing him sing our song. Unforgettable memory.
11. Do you have a favorite place to perform?
Yes, it would have to be the Famous Ryman Auditorium.
12. What’s one gift you will never forget?
I told my boyfriend that I loved double bubble gum and asked that he pick me up a few pieces while he was in the store. He came out with an entire box of gum. Like 200 pieces. I married that man️
13. What current event has your eyes and ears? What are you doing about it?
I love the Sumner Co Humane Society and have been a spokesperson for them. We adopted our baby Sandy from them and have been so blessed by having her in our lives.
14. How do you think songwriters play a vital role in music today?
Music can chang the world, a mood, bring back a memory, cause a new memory… without music this would be a sad and lonely place. I wish songwriters got more credit. I wonder how big some entertainers careers would be without a great song and writer behind them?
15. What’s one super power you wish you had?
I wish I could eat anything and never gain weight! It may not be a real super power but that would be super to me!
16. You’re making your favorite sandwich… what’s on it?
I love a good Reuben Sandwich.
17. Name one artist of any genre besides country that you are a fan of and tell us why?
I love Lionel Richie! His songs are simply brilliant and melodic. He relaxes my soul.
18. What makes you laugh out loud?
Watching videos of animals. I could spend all day long laughing at baby goats jumping around.
19. Fill in the blank: my idea of success is …..
making a difference, if only for one person’s life, with a song I have written.
20. Fill in the blank: Females in country music are inspiring because….
they have often lived the words they are singing about and have paved the road way before me to be able to do what I do now for a living. They have sacrificed their lives, families and souls to follow their dreams and have been strong role models for all working women in the world. I have several women in mind while writing this. That is why I wrote the song “Wonder Woman” on my current cd Obsession.